Monday, October 08, 2007

My new Bible

I read about The Books of the Bible a while back and just almost ordered one. My frugality (or some might say tendency to be cheap, tight, etc.) got the better of me, and I decided I could live without it for a while. Lo and behold, I found one for free the other day. Woo hoo!

I'm pretty excited about reading it. They've taken out the chapters and verse numbers to eliminate distractions and breaks in the reading that take away from the original intent of the authors. It encourages the reading of whole books instead of taking verses out of context. They've also reorganized the order of the books in a way that makes much more sense, by history and genre. It reads a bit more like a beautiful story, and the order of the books actually helps the reader make sense of it all. The couple pages of introduction in the front was well worth the read as well. I think this is the new way we will read the Bible as a family. It just makes sense, taking away some barriers to reading the beautiful story of God and actually reading it how the authors intended it to be read. If I was still a youth pastor I'd pass these things out to kids like crazy.

No comments: