Monday, October 29, 2007

The Mission

We watched The Mission with some friends last night. Wow, what an amazing movie with an incredible cast (Robert DeNiro, Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons, Aidan Quinn...) and spectacular scenery from South America. It would have been worth the time to watch it even without the amazing story. Jesuit missionaries to the Guarani people (natives) decide to stand against the decision of the Vatican to hand the territory over to the Portuguese. The Portuguese and Spaniards are hoping to destroy the missions and enslave the people. The characters of DeNiro and Irons take different routes to caring for the people. One refuses to believe that violence is the answer, and the other eventually takes arms against their attackers. It's one of the best movies I've seen with an explicitly religious theme. If you haven't seen it check it out.

I got a VHS copy from the library that reminded me of ages past...our VCR still works! Dan suggested I sell it as an antique, but we'll hold off.

1 comment:

Ryan Lee Sharp said...

Dude, put it on hold for me...I've wanted to see it for some time.