Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Be careful what you wish for

Since I moved to "The City" (our term of endearment for San Francisco which I may stop using out of respect for our beloved city of Oakland), I've been whining about a lack of people to play basketball with and lift weights with.  Since I turned 30 a few weeks back (February 23 for those of you who forgot to send me a card), I've been looking at myself and who I am and who I want to become.  I decided to recommit myself to being a competitive basketball player for a number of reasons.  I truly enjoy playing.  It keeps me in great shape.  I will meet people in Oakland while playing who may never talk to me otherwise, etc. etc.

So I emailed one of my favorite people in the world, Paul Davis, and asked him for a workout plan.  When he asked me what my fitness goals were, I just told him to imagine I was trying to make the NBA.  He didn't just email me a workout program, but he mailed a DVD that outlines a strength/plyometric/jumping program for basketball players.  So on Monday I got up early in the morning, went to the weightroom in our garage and got after it.  

Later in the early evening I went to shoot a few baskets over at the Potrero Hill Rec Center.  A couple guys over at the other end of the court invited me to do a basketball workout with them. Turns out one guy played for Pepperdine a while back and the other guy was the leading scorer for USF and the entire West Coast Conference, including Gonzaga, St. Mary's, etc.  I know only like two people reading this care about those couple details, but I hope you two people enjoy them.  So we did this strenuous workout of shooting, dribbling, and sprinting, and after my morning workout I felt like my legs were going to fall off, but wow, it was so fun.  The guys invited me to workout with them three days a week.  Suddenly I've got a plan and seriously talented guys to practice with.  By the time I get to Oakland (mid-May?) I'll be ready to play some basketball.

4 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

Can you hear me smiling across the country? Dude, that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

you're a favored son, my friend.

Shannon said...

happy way late birthday

Unknown said...

that is awesome. straight out of the movies.