Friday, January 05, 2007

Trust?

Our community has been reading through Deuteronomy for a while now. It's actually a fascinating book, filled with clear rules for the Hebrews as to how to live as God's people. The people are continually told that if they will obey and follow their Creator, if they will trust Him, all will be well with them. If they choose other ways things will not go well. They are also continually reminded of all God has done for them. In a generation they had witnessed miracle after miracle of God's provision. Food falling from Heaven, seas parting, etc. I've always wondered how they could be so stupid...to see those kinds of things and then fail to trust that God's way is the best way. But then today I sit at my computer, fretting and worrying that God will not provide for me. I can look back at incredible stories and see God's faithfulness and provision over and over, but something inside me sometimes waits for the sky to fall, distracted from the tasks at hand. I struggle with trying to be responsible and proactive in seeing that my family has money to pay rent and buy diapers without slipping into hours of worry and fear and endless searching of craigslist for the well-paying very part time gig that I am perfect for. My hope is that as my life goes on I will become better at living in this tension and the trust I seek to have will slowly grow, day after day, year after year.

1 comment:

brett said...

BTW-- did the very temporary, high-paying job come through?
it was great to hang with you on thursday...
peace in the tension