Friday, October 06, 2006

Bus to Glorietta...oh yeah




So four of us decided to ride the bus to New Mexico for the Emergent Gathering.
If you've never heard of the Gathering you should check it out...it's a wonderful time.
This year will be a bit different. I'll be co-leading some conversations and somehow I become the point person for hospitality, making sure people connect and feel welcome and all that. All of a sudden it feels like an old home with old friends...a family gatheringo of sorts. It was just two years ago I attended for the first time, my airfare paid for by Creekside Community Church. I knew no one. I was a little freaked out.
Anyone out there that has ridden Greyhound across a couple states? I think it's twenty four hours or so. We figured if we're always talking about walking in the ways of Jesus and we think Jesus would ride the bus...well, maybe we should actually take the bus. My only experience with buses has been dropping off my brother a couple times, and in that limited experience I know that it will be a fascinating trip. My only thing is that I really hope I can sleep during the night...I'm a wuss about not getting enough sleep.

1 comment:

JAX said...

I took a Greyhound bus to Colorado once. I thought it would be a nice way to see the country and to spend time around people I normally wouldn't. The bus broke down in the Sierra's. We were stranded at a mountain rest stop for six hours, kids crying, men cussing and no ideas when our rescue would come. One man made it out hitchhiking. By the time we made it to the SLC Utah terminal I'd missed the day's only connection to Colorado. Greyhound put me up in a hotel and gave me $26 for my troubles, but wouldn't refund the ticket price. Spent 24 hours in Salt Lake City, watched three movies, got kicked out of the Mormon Temple, and couldn't help but wonder how Mormon settlers thought that SLC was the "promised land." I finally made it to Colorado 24 hours late, but with a good story.