Monday, January 02, 2006

A fun day

I recently had the opportunity to participate in receiving a car from one family and giving the car to another family. I have some old friends, a single mother and her son, who desperately needed a car but were not able to purchase one. I have some other friends who told me they would like to donate a car to ReIMAGINE (the non-profit I work with). It seemed like a simple and easy task, but a check engine light that wouldn't stop being lit and coordinating the process with these 2 families and the DMV proved to take a little more time than I had imagined. At some point in the process it started to seem like I was spinning my wheels, putting too much energy into something that wasn't materializing. Finally the day came...I was ready to go to the DMV with the friend who would receive the car. To be honest, I was more than a little apprehensive about the transaction...did we have all the right paperwork...how much would the whole thing cost us...would we be there all day...would I get this woman's hopes up and then make her wait longer and longer???
A miracle happened. We walked into the DMV, and about 10 minutes later we walked out the DMV, the car now belonging to the woman, and she having paid the huge total of $30 for the process. I was stunned. The young lady who helped us was pleasant, maybe even cheery. My friend who now owns the car was ecstatic, and on the drive back to her apartment where the car was waiting, she told me how excited her son is about the car. He had been ashamed of their previous vehicles, but he loves this car. He had taken the time to clean every inch of the interior while they were waiting to take ownership. My friend kept repeating how God had given her the car through the generosity of others, and God will continue to provide for her needs, step by step. We prayed together, thanking God for his provision and love and care.
It was one of the most beautiful moments...I will never forget it, and I pray that God will continue to let me be a part of little things like this.
I pray that this simple story could be repeated over and over again, not as part of a program but as a way of life as people know God's love and follow Him.

No comments: