Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the unexpected

I was having one of those days. Got up a little later than I meant to, tired from the kids being sick and having a hard time sleeping. I thought I had a few minutes to chill before my next meeting, but then I got a text...could I meet right now instead? Sure, no problem, just need to find directions to the cafe for me and my bike from BART...got it. I'm in a hurry and hop onto my bike and down the hill. I'm at the entrance to BART and quickly realize I am without a wallet, or a BART card, or any cash, or any change. What to do, what to do. Ride back up the hill, get my wallet and be exhausted, sweaty, grumpy and late anyway? No thanks. Other options? None are coming to my mind. What if...I just ask people for money? I'm standing here next to the gate going through my pockets with obvious frustration and anxiety. Maybe someone will notice and want to help? Maybe one of these nice looking people who probably have extra money. I look at the people walking by, and they all make an obvious effort to look away, or even walk away. The Moms with kids, the business professionals, the hipsters, they all walk by. Suddenly a rather pudgy man wearing faded sweatpants, beat up tennis shoes, an old beanie and several days of stubble walks down the stairs. He looks straight at me and asks what is wrong. He says he wants to buy me a ticket, for people have done far more for him. He tries to enter his credit card several times, because he is pushing it in upside down. Contemplating giving him some tips on buying a BART card, I hold my tongue and wait. He finally uses cash and buys me a ticket for $1.50, just enough to get to the Embarcadero. I try to express my sincere gratefulness and desire to pay him back, but he tells me not to worry. "What goes around comes around, right?" he says and waves me ahead to my important meeting.

No comments: