Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A tough decision...

So, last night I bit the bullet and did it, I ordered some New Balance basketball shoes with some birthday money I received last week. Now, it isn't a big deal that I spent the money on shoes. It's a necessary cost for a way that I exercise and meet people in our community. The big deal is that I ordered NEW BALANCE shoes. Oh man, it was hard for me. I remember looking at the "old guys" who would show to play basketball without shoes made by Nike or Adidas. I mean, Converse, Reebok, And 1...these are a bit questionable but still somewhat respectable on a basketball court. But New Balance shoes, wow, I'm positive I have never seen an NBA player where them. I'm fairly sure I've never seen a good basketball player wear them, only the old slightly overweight white guys with short shorts who you hoped wouldn't somehow end up on your team. But alas, I have ordered New Balance shoes. The reason? Nike is pretty much universally recognized as the worst when it comes to sweat shops and treating workers unfairly. I recently saw a scene from a movie where Phil Knight (Nike founder and CEO) admits he has never been to the factories where the shoes are made, and he has no desire to do so in the future. He just doesn't care. New Balance may not be perfect, but they are generally considered to be far more socially conscious than the other larger shoe manufacturers. They also have an "endorsed by no one" moto, so they can spend more money making shoes since they don't give NBA players multimillion dollar contracts. Supposedly the shoes are well made and good for your feet as well.

So, I looked at Nikes online for a while. I saw the fancy ads with my favorite players (including Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant and Lebron James...) and I closed the window and searched for New Balance basketball shoes. Then for a couple hours I realized it is virtually impossible to buy New Balance basketball shoes. No one carries them, anywhere. I called local stores. I searched the net. Finally I found a website based out of Indiana that sold them, only they didn't have the all white ones I wanted. I had to get the white and black ones. I know, big deal, you say, but to me, this was huge. I chose to spend my money in what I felt was a better way for the best interests of the people in the world, and it hurt. Man, it hurt.

I'm not writing this to ask for applause or toot my own horn. It's therapy for me, and an admission of my own vanity when it comes to basketball shoes. I have loved by cool Nike shoes for years and years and years. And now, a new chapter in my athletic life, New Balance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate I remember my first pair of new balance, it was a hard day for me as well. That day was only blip on the map compared to the day I walked into my parents house to see that I was wearing the same nb's as my dad. Oh the shame.

I understand your feelings about going with nb. I don't think most people understand that the shoe companies are one of the largest pushers of sweat shops around the world. This was a hard thing for me to face several years ago seeing that I am a self admitted shoe whore.

Lora said...

This is just the first in a series of a few short steps to BEING that older white guy that none of the young bucks want on their team! Neener neener.

(but really, nicely done...............just don't show up in short shorts...please....)