Thursday, November 02, 2006

Poem for Middle Schoolers

I tried to write a really simple little poem about Jesus as Teacher for Life for middle schoolers we're hosting this weekend...I think it's a little cheesy but I wanted to make it at a 7th grade level...


Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

We like to use his name
But is it just a game

Bumper stickers and T-shirts
But will we follow when it hurts?

We watch the movie that Mel made
But what about after it’s played

A necklace with a cross
But are you ready for a loss

Give your stuff to the poor and follow me
But I’m afraid that might not make me happy

We like to pray that prayer and sing those songs
But MySpace is where my time belongs

All that stuff He said about love
That’s harder than me becoming a dove

But I tell you there is a better way
A way to live above the fray

The power that Jesus has thrown out to us
Power that can overturn the bus

The bus that heads to selfishness and fear
The bus that makes you call someone queer

When they need your love and care
But you don’t know if you can bear

But I say that you can
You can live by the Jesus plan

You can live in the way of the Son of Man
You can, You can, You can

The love revolution has begun
And I’ll tell you it’s a lot more fun

Than you may think
So let’s rethink

Reimagine our lives
How we love our brothers, sisters and wives

Love the homeless man in the gutter
And the weird boy who tends to stutter

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
More than a name or a game
More than a way to gain fame

A way to live and move and breathe
The only way to weave

Weave our fractured lives and make them whole
Yes we all have a special role

Today it is about more than fun
May your Kingdom come your will be done

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NATE! I'm a big fan of this age group and I'm a big fan of poetry. Way to make these worlds collide. Let me know how the poem goes over.