Thursday, February 23, 2006

Unglamorous Spiritual Formation

Last night I'm sitting in our "Jesus Dojo" listening to friends share hopes and dreams...hopes and dreams for a life lived in the Kingdom of God as followers of Jesus. We all have slightly different points of pain and weakness, and different ideas make our hearts soar and come to life. Together we hope to see our lives transformed as our lives move forward, transformed to be more like the Jesus we follow. As we talked about steps we each desire to take to make our lives open to God's transormation, it occurred to me that spiritual transformation is not always glamorous or sexy. Committing to go see a counselor about your past is not glamorous. Deciding to limit your time surfing the Internet is not flashy. Working on being a better mother and husband is not sexy. But such is life. We have tiny decisions every day that group together to make us who we are. We are shaped by the day in, day out little things.

Now I have nothing against incredible moments of inspiration, and I happen to believe that we should be filled with emotion with we realize how God loves us and cares for us and believes in us. I've enjoyed singing songs to Jesus at the top of my lungs with hundreds of other people. I've enjoyed the rush of speaking to a group of people and feeling excitement in the air. I also know that life isn't a continual adrenaline rush. It's too easy to depend on the crazy flashy highs and public events and let the simple daily lives, our real lives, the lives we really live every second, decay and rot.

I'll stop rambling now, but I just hope I never give people the impression that following Jesus is always a crazy roller coaster of fame and happiness and dramatic tear filled evenings. It is that, but it is also waking up at the time I need to wake up and honoring God with how I spend my money today and whether I choose to check my email again or play with my daughter and whether I choose to stop and pray and listen instead of blaring Wilco on my IPod and whether I go to bed on time instead of watching Sports Center.

No comments: