Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Location, location, location

I've been thinking a lot lately about where we live and other places we would like to live someday. Where people live gives them unique opportunities to be a part of God's Kingdom breaking in. I'm not saying one place is better than another, but that there are a wide variety of doors that will be opened to practice love in a wide variety of settings.

This morning I couldn't find a place to lock my bike in front of the coffee shop, so I went across the street. As I walked towards the corner to lock my bike, I realized that about three feet away there is a memorial set up for someone who was shot a couple days ago. I read about it on sfgate.com and realized it was in the middle of my normal stomping grounds, but I had forgotten. I hesitated, wondering if there was some sort of etiquette for how close one is to park his bike to a memorial for a 16 year old boy who was shot 2 or 3 days ago. I decided to lock it up, and then stared at the 3 inches in between my back tire and the row of candles. For a moment I could not move. I just stood there and pondered life and death and all that is in between. It was a strange start to my day, but in many ways it put things in perspective.

No comments: