Thursday, August 11, 2005

Fundraising as Ministry

I've been thinking a lot lately about fundraising for ministry, since that is what I am supposedly doing this month. I've never been much of a salesman or a big talker, so that is not exactly the type of fundraiser I will be. A couple months ago I stumbled upon a booklet by Henri Nouwen entitled The Spirituality of Fundraising. I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about raising funds or support for ministry:
"If we come back from asking someone for money and we feel exhausted and somehow tainted from unspiritual activity, something is wrong. We must not let ourselves be tricked into thinking that fund-raising is only a secular activity. As a form of ministry, fund-raising is as spiritual as giving a sermon, entering a time of prayer, visiting the sick, or feeding the hungry. So fund-raising has to help us with our conversion too. Are we willing to be converted from our fear of asking, our anxiety oabout being rejected or feeling humiliated, our depression when someone says, 'No, I'm not going to get involved with your project'? When we have gained the freedom to ask without fear, to love fund-raising as a form of ministry, then fund-raising will be good for our spiritual life..."
As my friend Mark said the other day, I wish I could write like Nouwen.

No comments: